Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Enjoy the Silence...

I receive an email about every day from a list I am subscribed to, called "Daily Power Words". It contains a word to reflect on throughout the day, a passage about the word, and an exercise. I LOVE THIS LIST! Today's word is: relaxation and the exercise is to take a few minutes for silence and reflection every day for a week (or more!) and write about the experience. I am going to do just that...and I will write about my experiences publicly, here on this blog. Oh goodie!

This afternoon I sat down for about 5 minutes. I couldn't sit for longer because someone knocked on the door, but those 5 minutes really went a long way towards helping me feel centered. I changed out of my jeans and into my baggy pants, sat on the bed, closed my eyes and focused on my breath for almost exactly 5 minutes. That's it. So simple, right? Well, wrong! My mind was scattered and running wild. My thoughts were bouncing all around inside my head, and it was actually hard work to just focus on my breath. However, towards the end of the 5 minutes, it was becoming a little easier...so I am sure the more I work at this, the easier it will become.

I wrote earlier today that I wasn't feeling much like myself. Well, actually now...after the 5 minute meditation break, I am feeling MUCH more like myself. I might have actually found the key to it all. We'll have to see if this trend continues.

No comments: